As we go about the ordinariness of our lives, making breakfast, chatting with friends, shopping for groceries, and watching Netflix, our government is under attack by a political party that holds its power to be more important than our democracy. The GOP, for more than 20 years has been on the attack, and the end game grows more clear with each passing day.
Historian Heather Cox Richardson in her “Letters from an American” chronicles the events. The post below cites some of the current actions that should alarm all of us. But it is the inaction of GOP leadership that signals where the GOP is headed.
Some will say that HCR is an alarmist, others that she is partisan. Ask yourself this, “What behaviors do you see in the GOP leadership that suggest that we should NOT be concerned?”
Here is what I see:
- Actions to foster distrust of our elections.
- Years of strategic work to disenfranchise opposition.
- Support of secretive gerrymandering.
- Pandering to fringe elements of the GOP base.
- Inaction on obvious corruption.
- Near total partisan obstructionism.
- Purges of moderate leadership.
- Improper courting of foreign propaganda support.
- Desperate efforts to prevent investigation of January 6th.
And this is only an off-the-cuff partial list.